Hello People. This article is about usage of solar energy in electric vehicle charging stations.
While electric vehicles are being encouraged by governments worldwide, an ecosystem for development of chargers, charging stations and software & cloud services is steadily being built.
The newer guidelines from the government require the charging stations to be equipped with multi standard chargers, namely AC Type 2, the CCS and the CHADEMO, in addition to the lower power AC and DC-001.
These systems are reliant entirely on the grid, are subject to real estate availability at prime urban and semi-urban locations, and the question of the grid being ready and equipped for these added loads, still remains.
Solar energy and storage comes into picture to not only supplement the grid but to also work standalone at feasible locations across the country.
Components of a solar charging station
- EV charger
- Solar panel array
- Battery energy storage system
- Solid foundation like a steel base plate
- Software setup
Solar energy charging station for electric vehicles can be classified into two types namely On-Grid solar charging stations and Off-Grid Solar charging station
On-Grid solar charging stations
On-grid solar energy system is the most straight forward way to charge your electric car with solar energy. A grid-tied solar energy system will feed the power to the grid, regardless of whether your home needs the power at that moment or not.
When your solar energy system is feeding to the grid, and you are at your office, the electric power generated at home is sold to the utility company. You’ll get that power back from the utility company in the form of a credit. When you come back from work and park your car at home, you can use that credit to re-charge your car at home.
Off-Grid Solar charging station
An Off-Grid solar electrical car charger has no connection to local utilities company. The solar panel array will feed the battery energy storage system and the entire power needs are drawn from this storage system.
Off-grid electrical car chargers can be placed virtually anywhere, as there’s no need for a connection to the electrical grid. An ESS battery storage system is used in case of an Off-Grid Solar energy charging station.
Advantages of Using a Solar PV Panel as an Energy Source for EVs
- Nearly 80% of a solar panel module can be recycled using advanced end-of-life recycling techniques.
- The end products of this recycling can be used for more productive processes. .
- The average lifespan of a solar panel manufactured today, is more than the 20 years. On the other hand, conventional batteries and inverters need a replacement every 5-20 years of installation.
- Solar Energy is one of the cleanest options for fueling the electric cars.
- Solar panels installed at homes can help significantly in saving electricity costs through a controlled charging schedule.
- Prices of solar installations have reduced considerable over time, encouraging more people to invest in one of the most popular forms of renewable energy.
Hope this article about how electric cars can improve road safety is useful to you. To read about jobs in the Electric Vehicle Industry, please visit Job opportunities in Electric Vehicle Sector and its Charging Infrastructure industry